Monday, January 3, 2011

I also read books

So, in addition to watching much tv, I also managed to read a couple books over my break, most particularly this one, which was a present from Hedgehog:


I'm sure I've written about an Isabel Allende novel before, since I lovelovelove her, and her books are the kind where you might actually learn something, or at least you will if you know practically nothing about what she's writing about, like I do. This one is about Haiti and a little about Cuba and also about New Orleans, all in the late 18th and early 19th century, and the only historical thing I actually knew going in was that at some point there would be something called the Louisiana Purchase, which is what made most of Minnesota part of the United States, so there's that. Because I'm really bad at history and stopped paying attention to it sometime in Junior High, it had never exactly occurred to me that lots of people were living in those areas at that time, and not everyone was necessarily happy about it. Imagine that. Some people would actually rather be French.

Anyway, that's not at all the point of the book, just a little aside that makes me sounds stupid, which I know you all like. The point of the book is more or less about freedom and humanity, or lack thereof and of course about race and what defines it and what it means and all that. It's very very good and so you should take my recommendation for once and go read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment