Saturday, January 8, 2011

Volunteer Fail

So, in honor of my birthday I volunteered to go help build cots for homeless dogs at a shelter in Madison, Tennessee because that seemed like a safe way to help without accidentally bringing home 12 dogs and thus beginning my inevitable decline into animal hoarding. I woke up this morning and there were about four snowflakes in the air, and so Houseboy and I joked about how maybe they would cancel. You know where this is going, of course. We drive out there and stand around for about 5 minutes trying to figure out where to go before finally the barking dogs roused a man in sweatpants and Crocs* who informs me that they cancelled due to the weather, seeing as how it is so cold. From that I gathered that they intended to do this work outdoors, which brought up the question: which was more of a Southern moment, that they planned a four hour outdoor project in January**, or that they cancelled it when the temperatures dropped below 40 degrees?


---
* Totally not judging, if you run a dog shelter you should wear what's comfortable, I'm just fleshing out the story, you know.

** Not that us Northerners won't do the same:


No comments:

Post a Comment