Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'm tired and I wanna go home

Today is one of those days where I suddenly have the feeling that this whole "Nashville" experiment is just an extended and kind of boring vacation and I wish I could change my plane ticket to go back today, even if it costs me extra, because I'd rather go back to work than keep hanging out in this lame hotel room where the floor is uneven so I'm sleeping downhill and we just found a cockroach in the tub.

Turns out that sleeping with your head down and your feet up causes some kind of blood pooling in your neck or something, because I can barely turn my head and yesterday when Houseboy called me and I tried to cradle the cell phone between my shoulder and ear because I was trying to take my shirt off while talking* I got a charley horse in my neck, which I didn't even know was possible.

It also turns out that, even if they pay you to go to school around here, they don't pay for your books, and I'm in one of those programs where every class requires three giant hardback textbooks at $100 a pop, which is not nearly as fun as when I was an English major, and I bought used paperback novels for $5, which still sit on my shelves and make me look smart. No one is going to be impressed when they visit and pretend to go to the bathroom but actually check out all my stuff and see "Classics of Public Policy," which no one has ever bought outside a classroom, I'm sure.

Oh, and to cap it all off, I'm about to take a shower this morning when Houseboy cheerfully informs me that he spotted our first cockroach** in the bathtub, forcing me to contemplate whether peeing in the shower*** would discourage them coming back, or if that's something they're into, seeing as how they are the opposite of everything that's good and right in the world.

On the other hand, I do have leftover pizza in the fridge, and if I want to eat pizza at 10:30 in the morning I'm allowed because I'm a grown up and you can't stop me.



---
* Because it was hot out.
** In THIS apartment. I've seen cockroaches before.
*** Not that I ordinarily pee in the shower, it's just something I thought might kill them.



http://irregulargiggling.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like today is not a good day.

    If you sleep the other way, will the blood pool to your feet and cause swelling? Then you could justify buying new shoes. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete